So I’m a little more than 36 hours from departure time and I am so full of thoughts, feelings and to-do’s that the idea of sleep is a total joke. What better way to fight insomnia than to start blogging, eh? I’ve been learning so much about Chile and wanted to share some interesting factoids:
- Chile got its name from natives that first occupied the land. The meaning of the word Chile means “Where the land Ends”.
- The Capital of Chile is Santiago de Chile – where I’ll be spending the next 6 weeks!
- Chile is the leading global exporter of salmon
- Over 1/3 of the world’s copper production is done in Chile
- Chile has the largest annual fireworks show in all of South America. I wonder how it stacks up against Thunder Over Louiville??
- Michelle Bachelet Jeria was Chile’s first ever female president (elected in 2006)
- Chile is the sixth largest exporter of wines…..I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
** The image in the header of my blog is a satellite view of Santiago, Chile. The City sits in the Santiago Basin and is flanked by the Andes to the east the Chilean Coastal Range to the west.